Peter Stenvinkel (PS) is a senior lecturer at Karolinska University Hospital and Professor of Nephrology at Karolinska Institutet (KI). In collaboration with basic research labs, Baxter Novum, geneticists, and epidemiologists.
PS conducts translational research with focus on risk factors for metabolic, cardiovascular and nutritional complications in chronic kidney disease (CKD). PS also conduct biomimetic studies to learn from solutions developed in nature in collaboration with ecologists, biologists, and veterinarians.
His research is funded by CIMED, the Swedish Medical Research Council, ALF, Heart and Lung Foundation, Westman Foundation, KI funds and EU Marie Curie Program [ki.se/en/clintec/researchers-renal- medicine].
He has published about 625 original publications and reviews and >35 book chapters on various aspects of inflammation, wasting and metabolism in chronic kidney disease patients.
His Hirsch index is 93 according to PubMed and 119 according to Google Scholar.
He has given more than 430 invited lectures at various international meetings and congresses in about 30 different countries.
Visiting Associate Professor University of California Davis, USA 2000-2001. Visiting Professor Perth Australia Nov 2013
Supervise(d) >20 PhD students
SOME FEATURED PUBLICATIONS 2020-22
1. Ebert T, Pawelzik S-C, Witasp A, Samsul Arefin S, Hobson S, Kublickiene K, Shiels P, Bäck B, Stenvinkel P. Inflammation and premature ageing in chronic kidney disease. Toxins (Basel). 2020;12(4):227
2. Mafra D, Borges NA, Lindholm B, Shiels PG, Evenepoel P, Stenvinkel P. Food as medicine: targeting the uraemic phenotype in chronic kidney disease. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2021;17(3):153-171.
3. Dai L, Shiels PG, Schurger L, Stenvinkel P. A biomimetic natural sciences approach to understanding the mechanisms of ageing in burden of lifestyle diseases. Clin Sci (Lond). 2021;135(10):1251-1272.
4. Stenvinkel P, Avesani C, Gordon LJ, Schalling M, Shiels P. Biomimetics Provide Lessons from Nature for Contemporary ways to Improve Human Health. J Clin Transl Sci. 2021 17;5(1):e128.
5. Shiels P, Painer J, Natterson-Horowitz B, Johnson RJ, Miranda JJ, Stenvinkel P. Manipulating the exposome to enable better ageing. Biochem J. 2021 30;478(14):2889-2898.
6. Erlandsson H, Qureshi AR, Ripsweden J, Lofman I, Söderberg M, Wennberg L, Lundgren T, Bruchfeld A, Brismar T, Stenvinkel P. Scoring of medial arterial calcification predicts cardiovascular events and mortality after kidney transplantation. J Intern Med. 2022. doi: 10.1111/joim.13459.
7. Mafra D, Borges NA, Alvarenga L, Ribeiro M, Fonseca L, Leal VO, Shiels PG, Stenvinkel P. Fermented food: Should patients with cardiometabolic diseases go back to an Early Neolithic diet? Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2022 20:1-24.
PS current research areas include (epi)genetics, early vascular ageing, biomimetics, food as medicine and planetary health.
2017 ERA-EDTA prize for outstanding educational activities in nephrology.
MD Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden 1982. Leg Läk 1984.
Doctorial degree 1994 Karolinska Institutet in Renal Medicine. Supervisor: Anders Alvestrand.
Akademiska priser och utmärkelser
1995 Best Swedish thesis in Diabetology
1996 Baxter Extramural Grant awardee
2002-5 Member of the KDOQI working group
2003-6 Söderbergs Foundation awardee
2005 Karolina Price awardee
2002-5 Member of the Baxter Medical Advisory Board
2001-2004 Member of the KDOQI working group on risks factors for CVD in CKD
2006-2013 Member of Gambro Advisory Board
2005 Among the 10 most cited authors at the Karolinska Institute
2006- Member of the Faculty 1000 Medicine
2009 Vizenca price awardee
2010 Addis Gold medal for nutritional research
2010-13 Editor-in-chief NDT-E
2010-13 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of ERA-EDTA
2010 Honorary membership of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology
2012 National Kidney Foundation international awardee in Washington DC, USA
2012 Honorary membership of the Polish Society of Nephrology
2014 Ranked by Expertscape as # 3 top world expert in end-stage renal disease
2016-17 Chairman of the Scientific committee for the ERA-EDTA annual meeting in Madrid 2017
2017 ERA-EDTA prize for outstanding educational activities in nephrology
2017 Best Karolinska Huddinge Grand Round presentation
2018 Awarded a grant from the Nobel committee to arrange a Nobel conference on biomimetics Sept 2019
2019 Among 20 most cited researchers at Karolinska Institutet
2020 By Stanford University identified as the world´s 13th most influential Nephrologist
2021 Chairman Life/2021