Susanna Myrnerts Höök
Anknuten till Forskning
Susanna Myrnerts Höök is a Paediatric Specialist from the Sachs' Children and Youth Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden. The last 5 years she has been involved in research projects focusing on neonatal resuscitation in Kampala, Uganda, a low-resource setting. The work led her to start a PhD at Bergen University, Norway, September 2016. She plan to defend her thesis springtime 2021 with the title "Supporting neonatal resuscitation in low-resource settings - innovations and new strategies".
The thesis discusses how best to support non-breathing neonates immediately after birth in low-resource settings using innovations and new strategies. The thesis will be focused on heart rate assessment using a smartphone app, and airway access for ventilatory support with the use of a laryngeal mask airway (LMA), following its effect on adherence to international neonatal resuscitation guidelines and effect on neonatal mortality and morbidity.
2019-recent Co-investigator in the NEO-SPIRIT Trial (NEOnatal SuPRaglottic vIetnam Trial) Assessment of a Supraglottic Device Versus Endotracheal Intubation in Neonatal Resuscitation in Vietnam – a Randomised Phase III Clinical Trial (NEO-SPIRIT).
2016 – 2019 NeoSupra trial, a multi-centre, phase III, open-label, randomized clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy of i-gel®supraglottic airway used in neonatal resuscitation in reducing early neonatal mortality and morbidity compared to standard of care face-mask ventilation (FMV) in low income countries. Part of the coordination team, the steering committee and data management team.
2016 – recent PhD candidate at Bergen University, Norway, Paper I-III are published in Acta Paediatrica, BMJ Paediatrics Open and New England Journal of Medicine. Name of articles planned in thesis:
- Accurate and fast neonatal heart rate assessment with a smartphone-based application - a manikin study
- Smartphone app for neonatal heart rate assessment– an observational study.
- A randomized trial of laryngeal mask airway in neonatal resuscitation.
2013 – recent Development of NeoTap, a new free application for registration of heart rate during resuscitation of newborn babies. Including a manikin-study at Sachs´s Children and Youth hospital in Stockholm, Sweden and an observational study at Mulago Hospital, Kampala, Uganda
1999 – 2000 “Arthritis among children of the Shipibo people.” Pucallpa, Peru, Anders Fasth, Professor of Paediatric Immunology, The Queen Silvia Children's Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Larynxmask säkert komplement vid återupplivning av spädbarn. Pejovic, NJ; Myrnerts Höök, S; Lakartidningen, 2021
- A randomized trial of laryngeal mask airway in neonatal resuscitation. Pejovic NJ*; Myrnerts Höök S*, Byamugisha J, Alfvén T, Lubulwa C, Cavallin F, Nankunda J, Ersdal E, Blennow M, Trevisanuto D, Tylleskär T. The New England Journal of Medicine 2020;383:2138-47. Doi:10.1056/NEJMoa2005333. *contributed equally to this article.
- Accurate and fast neonatal heart rate assessment with a smartphone-based application – a manikin study. Myrnerts Höök S, Pejovic NJ, Marrone G, Tylleskär T, Alfvén T. Acta Paediatrica 2018;107:1548‐1554. Doi:10.1111/apa.14350.
- Smartphone app for neonatal heart rate assessment– an observational study. Myrnerts Höök S, Pejovic NJ, Cavallin F, Lubulwa C, Byamugisha J, Nankunda J, Tylleskär T, Alfvén T. BMJ Paediatrics Open 2020;0:e000688. Doi:10.1136/bmjpo-2020-000688.
- Neonatal resuscitation using a supraglottic airway device for improved mortality and morbidity outcomes in a low-income country: study protocol for a randomized trial Pejovic, NJ; Myrnerts Höök, S; Byamugisha, J; Alfven, T; Lubulwa, C; Cavallin, F; Nankunda, J; Ersdal, H; Segafredo, G; Blennow, M; Trevisanuto, D; Tylleskar, T 2nd first TRIALS
- Apropå! Globala hälsosystem och vikten av innovationer. Alfvén, T; Helldén, D; Pejovic, N; Myrnerts Höök, S; Tylleskär, T. Lakartidningen
- Neonatal resuscitation using a laryngeal mask airway: a randomised trial in Uganda Pejovic, NJ; Trevisanuto, D; Lubulwa, C; Myrnerts Höök, S; Cavallin, F; Byamugisha, J; Nankunda, J; Tylleskär, T. Archives of disease in childhood
- 2014 -recent Teacher for medical students at Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2016- recent Master trainer Helping Babies Breathe neonatal resuscitation training in Uganda
- 2015 Participate in organizing training in Essential Newborn Care for MSF doctors
- PhD candidate: 2016-recent University of Bergen, Norway, Professor Thorkild Tylleskär, affiliated to Karolinska Institutet
- 2015 Certified Specialist in Paediatrics
- Residency: 2010-2015 Paediatrics, Sachs' Children and Youth Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
- Residency:2005-2010 General Medicine, S:t Erik health centre, Stockholm, Sweden
- Internship: 2002-2005 Internal Medicine, Geriatrics, Surgery, General Medicine, Psychiatry, Södersjukhuset, Sweden
- 1996-2002 Doctor of Medicine, University of Gothenburg, The Sahlgrenska Academy Gothenburg, Sweden
- Licensure/Certification1996-2002 M.D. Sweden
Languages: Swedish, native tongue – English/Spanish/French, fluently spoken and written