My scientific career has been grounded on studying mitochondrial function, dynamics and mitotherapeutics with potential to reach clinical studies. I received my PhD in neuroscience and health sciences in 2017 from Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, Portugal. My post-doctoral work was focused on the study of mitochondria-endoplasmic reticulum contact sites (MERCS) in neurodegeneration and drug discovery to modulate MERCS. This work was done in multidisciplinary team coordinated by Teva Pharma and Prilenia Therapeutics and later at Karolinska Institutet, under the research group of Prof Maria Ankarcrona. In 2023 I was appointed as Assistant Professor at Karolinska Institutet where I develop my research line which is focused on neuro-astrocyte mitochondrial communication with a focus on Alzheimer´s Disease.
´ Mitochondria are the clandestine rulers of our world`
My research is focus on mitochondrial function, dynamics and organelle interplay (mitochondria associated membranes) in neurodegeneration, particularly in Alzheimer’s disease. Therefore, my current goals are to understand the molecular mechanisms leading to deficits in synaptic mitochondria and how neuron-glia crosstalk can influence/modulate those deficits in Alzheimer’s disease models. We are particularly interested in studying mitochondrial transfer between brain cells by tunneling nanotubes and extracellular vesicles (mitovesicles). We also have been developing a pipeline to study mitovesicles metabolic signatures in health and disease.
- PhD in Neurosciences from Faculty of Medicine, Univeristy of Coimbra (Portugal)
- Master in Biotecnology for Health Sciences from University of Trás-od-Montes and Alto Douro (Portugal)
- Bachelor in Genetics from University of Trás-od-Montes and Alto Douro (Portugal)
Akademiska priser och utmärkelser
- Awarded with IBRO International Travel Grant Funding Program (2016)
- Best poster presentation in 2nd PF2MUC Symposium, University of Coimbra (2012)
- ‘Prémio UTAD’, graduated with better grade in 2009/2010 school year in School of Life Sciences and Environment, University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro (2011)