Research focus: We perform translational studies on two autoimmune diseases, systemic lupus erythematos (SLE) and ANCA-associated vasculitis (AAV) with a special focus on renal involvement. We have identified promising biomarkers that reflect renal activity and damage development, histopathological studies in effects of therapy, and participated in genetical studies. We have collected large cohorts with biomaterial from the time-point of renal biopsies, both before and after immunosuppressive treatment.
I am the leader of studies regarding the use of biologics (rituximab, belimumab) in SLE and in principal investigator for a large cohort of AAV, performed in collaboration with nephrology at Karolinska. I also have a research interest in SLE pregnancy and males with SLE.
Introduction/history: I am a senior consultant in Rheumatology and work half-time in the clinic, mainly with inflammatory systemic diseases and half-time with research as adjunct professor in rheumatology. I defended my thesis in 1999.
Major lines of research: Systemic lupus erythematosus and ANCA-associated vasculitis, renal involvement, use of biologics, biomarkers
Agneta Zickert, rheumatologist, postdoc on studies on lupus nephritis
Francesca Faustini, rheumatologist, PhD in SLE research
Anna Juto, PhD student in vasculitis research
Jakob Gerhardsson, PhD student in SLE research
Charikleia Chrysostomou, nephrologist, pre-PhD student in SLE research
Peter Hemmingsson, nephrologist, pre-PhD student in vasculitis research
Linnea Karlsson, pre-PhD student in renal SLE research
- Resorption of immune deposits in membranous lupus nephritis following rituximab versus conventional immunosuppressive treatment Agneta Zickert , Klas Lannfelt , Jan Schmidt Mende, Birgitta Sundelin, and Iva Gunnarsson. Rheumatology 2020
- Myriam Martin, Rebecca Trattner Evetovics, Sara C. Nilsson, Albin Björk, Agneta Zickert, Anna M. Blom and Iva Gunnarsson Plasma C4d correlates with C4d deposition in kidneys and with treatment response in systemic lupus erythematosus with renal involvement. Frontiers Immunology 2020
- Antovic A, Mobarrez F, Manojlovic M, Soutari N, De Porta Baggemar V, Nordin A, Bruchfeld A, Vojinovic J, Gunnarsson I. Microparticles Expressing Myeloperoxidase and Complement C3a and C5a as Markers of Renal Involvement in Antineutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibody-associated Vasculitis. The Journal of rheumatology 2020 47;5 714-721
- Arnaud L, Nordin A, Lundholm H, Svenungsson E, Hellbacher E, Wikner J, Zickert A, Gunnarsson I. Effect of Corticosteroids and Cyclophosphamide on Sex Hormone Profiles in Male Patients With Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or Systemic Sclerosis. Arthritis & rheumatology (Hoboken, N.J.) 2017 69;6 1272-1279
- Gerhardsson J, Sundelin B, Zickert A, Padyukov L, Svenungsson E, Gunnarsson I. Histological antiphospholipid-associated nephropathy versus lupus nephritis in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: an observational cross-sectional study with longitudinal follow-up. Arthritis research & therapy 2015 17; 109-