Helena Lindgren holds a position as senior lecturer and is also an associate professor specializing in reproductive and perinatal health.
Helena Lindgren holds a position as senior lecturer and is also an associate professor specializing in reproductive and perinatal health. She has extensive experience from teaching at midwifery programs and master program in care sciences. She is the head of division for reproductive health at the department of women’s and children’s health at Karolinska Institutet since 2016 and the program director for the midwifery program at KI. She is member of the international council at the university and also of the international committee and the board of education within the Swedish Midwives Association.
Her research focus is on models of care for optimal outcomes during pregnancy and childbirth. She has conducted epidemiological studies, intervention studies and she has also extensive experience from complex interventions using qualitative data for evaluations and enhanced understanding. HL is the innovator of the MIMA-model (Midwives' Management during the second stage of labor) which showed a reduction in perineal injuries among first-time mothers.
She is since 2017 a guest professor at the University of Gondar in Ethiopia where she has developed a PhD program in midwifery in collaboration with national colleagues. Her clinical experience comes mainly from labor and childbirth but also from antenatal care and supervision in clinical settings.
Research projects where Helena Lindgren is the Principal Investigator:
- EMMA-program (co-leader Erica Schytt) – Enhanced Maternity care for MigrAnt women – research to action
- MIDWISE – Midwifery led interdisciplinary care in a hub and spoke system. A project aiming at improving maternal and child health care and nutrition in low- and middle income settings.
- PhD degree 2004-2008 Karolinska Institutet
- Midwifery degree 1998-1999 Mälardalen University
- Nursing degree 1991-1992 Dalarna University
Akademiska priser och utmärkelser
Sahlgrenska academy award for best education program.