If you get sick
If you become ill, you must report it to your workplace the same day and employees must submit a medical certificate from day 8. Compensation for deduction from sick pay during the qualifying period can be applied for at the National Insurance Office (Försäkringskassan).
Sick leave and reporting return to work
You as an employee should register your first sick day in the PA web. If you are sick for more than 14 calendar days the HR department reports this to the National Insurance Office (Försäkringskassan). PA web.
When you recover and return to work report this via the PA web.
Sickness pay and sickness benefits
KI pays your salary for the first 14 days of a sick leave. As of the 15th day, National Insurance Office (Försäkringskassan) pays out sickness benefits.
First sick day deduction
On January 1, 2019, the qualifying day (Karensdag) was replaced by a withdrawal deduction (Karensavdrag). The new regulations in the sickpay legislation imply a new way for the employer to handle the wages over time with sickpay. The wage system at Karolinska Institutet is updated with new calculations in April, but we will also ensure that all sick periods that have begun from January 1 follow the new qualification rules.
The purpose of the introduction of a conversion allowance deduction is primarily to achieve a more fair conversion in the event of sickness absence. With the deduction of the allowance, the deduction is the same for the insured regardless of when the sickleave occurs.
During the first 14 calendar days of a sick period, an employee has the right to receive sickpay from his employer. The sickpay represents 80% of the salary that the employee would have received if he or she did not become ill. The first day of the sickperiod was, according to previous rules, a "Karensdag" and no sick pay was then paid out. The new rules mean that the employer makes a deduction from the sick pay at the beginning of the sick period.
In practice, this means three steps;
- During the sick pay period (calendar days 1 - 14), deductions are made for the actual time that the employee is absent due to illness.
- Thereafter, sickpay for the entire absence period (from day 1) is calculated.
- The calculated sick pay is then reduced by a calculated withdrawal deduction. The deduction will therefore in principle correspond to the current qualifying day (Karensdag) amount for most employees. See Example A.
The withdrawal amount on day 1 must be equal (3.68% x the actual monthly salary) regardless of how long workingday the employee would have had during the day of illness, when during the day on which the illness occurred or what extent sick leave has. This is assuming that you are still ill day 2. If you are only ill for example 4 hours day 1 and then is healthy day 2 then you will only get deductions for the 4 hours and salary as usual for the other 4 hours. See example B. The deduction will therefore never be larger than the sick pay that would be paid for the sick pay period.
If the employee resumes within 5 days, the sick days in the new sick pay period shall be merged with the sick days in the previous sick pay period. If a full allowance deduction could not be made from the sick pay in the previous period, the allowance deduction must be made from the sick pay in the new period until a full salary deduction has been made.
A worker who is employed at 100% and is 100% absence for 5 days.
The worker has a monthly salary of SEK 30 000.
- 5 days sickness deduction (monthly salary x 4.6% x 5) = - 6 900:-
- Sick pay 80% of salary deductions above = + 5 520:-
- Deduction of sick pay, 3.68% of current salary = - 1 104:-
A worker who is employed at 100% and is absence half of Monday and is back on duty on Tuesday morning.
The worker has a monthly salary of SEK 30 000.
- 1 day sickness allowance x 50% = - 690:-
- Sick pay 80% of the salary deduction above = + 552:-
- Deduction of sickpay 3.68% of monthly salary = - 1104:-(but only 552:-can be deducted from sick pay)
Total sick pay after conversion deduction = 0:-
You must submit certification from your doctor to your workplace if you have been sick for more than 7 calendar days.
Certification from your doctor shall apply from day 8. If you are sick for more than 14 calendar days then you must submit a copy of the doctor’s certification to your workplace. The original is sent to Försäkringskassans inläsningcentral, 839 88 Östersund.
Reimbursement for medical care and drugs
KI reimburses you SEK 95 for medical care and SEK 55 for physical therapy.
Reimbursement is applicable to pharmaceuticals that are included in the annual cost ceiling. The receipt must contain your name and personal identity number.
The receipt must not be older than two years.
Mer information för inloggade medarbetare
Det finns mer information för dig som arbetar i följande grupper
- C1.Mikrobiologi, tumör- och cellbiologi
- C2.Medicinsk biokemi och biofysik
- C7.Lärande, Informatik, Management och Etik
- C8.Medicinsk epidemiologi och biostatistik
- H7.Medicin, Huddinge
- K1.Molekylär medicin och kirurgi
- K6.Kvinnors och barns hälsa
- K9.Global folkhälsa